4/20 SALE! GET UP TO 20% OFF STOREWIDE UNTIL 4/26!

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), High Purity 99.9%, Lab Grade

Description

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)

99.9% Lab Grade - C4H8O

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), also known as butanone is an organic compound.  Its a colorless liquid and has a sweet order similar to acetone.  MEK is a widely used in commercial applications and as a solvent, and it dissolves many substances.  Our MEK is a very high purity percentage which make it appropriate for use in laboratory and analytical applications. MEK has a flash point 20 °F. Vapors heavier than air. Does not react with water.  It is partially soluble in water, and soluble in most other organic solvents. It will float on water while it rapidly dissolves in it

MEK goes by a couple of names: 2-Butanone, Butan-2-one, Butanone, Ethyl methyl ketone, Methylethyl ketone

Chemical Formula: C4H8O
Molecular Weight: 72.1057
CAS Registry Number: 78-93-3
Appearance Colorless Liquid
Odor: Mint or acetone-like
Density 0.8050 g/ml
Boiling Point: 79.64C/175.35F
Solubility in water: 27.5g/100ml
GHS Pictograms: GHS02: FlammableGHS07: Exclamation mark
GHS Signal Word: Danger
GHS Hazard Statements: H225, H319, H336
GHS Precautionary Statements P210, P233, P240, P241, P242, P243, P261, P264, P271, P280, P303+P361+P353, P304+P340, P305+P351+P338, P312, P337+P313, P370+P378, P403+P233, P403+P235, P405, P501
UN Identification Number: 1193
Proper Shipping Name: Ethyl Methyl Ketone
Transport Hazard Class: 3
Packing Group: II
DOT Placard: Flammable liquids (3)



What is Methyl Ethyl Ketone?

Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), also known as butanone, is a colorless, volatile liquid organic compound with the chemical formulaC4H8O. It is classified as a ketone, characterized by the presence of a carbonyl group (C=O) bonded to two carbon atoms.

How Is Methyl Ethyl Ketone Produced?

While Methyl Ethyl Ketone is biosynthesized by trees and is found in small quantities in foods such as some fruits and vegetables, chicken, beans, honey, and a wide variety of cheeses, the majority of Methyl Ethyl Ketone is produced using dehydrogenation of secondary butyl alcohol (approximately 86%) and as a byproduct of butane oxidation (remaining 14%).

How is Methyl Ethyl Ketone Stored and Distributed?

Methyl ethyl ketone is packed in drums. It should be stored in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area that is free from the risk of ignition as it is highly flammable. For transportation purposes, methyl ethyl ketone is classified as packing group II and a hazard class 3 with a flashpoint of -9° C

What is Methyly Ethyl Ketone Used For?

Methyl Ethyl Ketone is used as a solvent in the manufacturing of adhesives, protective coatings, inks and magnetic tapes. It is also the preferred extraction solvent for dewaxing lube oil.

Is Methyl Ethyl Ketone Banned?

Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is not banned nationally, but it is banned in Southern California and some states with strict VOC laws.

What are the dangers of Methyl Ethyl Ketone?

The compound is rated a 1 for health under the NFPA 704 indicating that exposure should only cause a minor residual injury.
To avoid inhalation occurring, especially for regular uses, adequate ventilation should be ensured with local exhaust ventilation and enclosures. The direct inhalation of high levels of MEK may cause dizziness, nausea, headaches, irritation of the respiratory system and chest tightness. If the individual has difficulty breathing, they should be moved to air free of the vapours and be provided oxygen until medical assistance is available.
Direct eye exposure can cause sore, stinging, red eyes with tearing and vapours can also irritate the eyes. Chemical safety goggles should therefore be used when contact with the eyes is possible. Repeated or prolonged skin contact should be avoided as this can cause irritation and dryness. Therefore, gloves, aprons and appropriate boots should be worn when repeated contact with MEK is possible.

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), High Purity 99.9%, Lab Grade

Product form

SKU: MEK-1QT

$30.00 You will earn 30 points for this purchase.

  • Want it cheaper? Call us for a wholesale or processor discount. 331-281-0154
  • Join Loyalty+ and save 10-15% *Select items

Price Match

    This is a Sample Product Title
    Was $200.00 Now $100.00

    Reviews

    Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), High Purity 99.9%, Lab Grade

    Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), High Purity 99.9%, Lab Grade

    0 out of 5 stars

    This product has no reviews yet

    Login

    Forgot your password?

    Don't have an account yet?
    Create account